Thursday, August 20, 2015

HEALTHY RECIPES THAT I'VE BEEN LOVING!

Is it just me, or does everyone else spend WAY too much time looking at blogs and Pinterest trying to find the most delicious, healthy looking meals that aren't a pain in the butt to make?

These are just some of the ones that I've scoured the internet for, or that I got the recipe from a good friend, and I've been seriously loving them lately! I love being able to eat healthy food that doesn't taste like grass! I hope you like these!!


Pineapple Coconut Chicken
[Recipe from Missy Reber]
{Makes about 6 servings, 1/2 c rice & 1/2 c pineapple mixture}
This picture doesn't really make it look too appealing so you'll have to trust me on this one!

-2 large chicken breasts
-1/2 onion, sliced
-1/4 cup (low sodium) teriyaki sauce 
-2 tbsp coconut oil 
-1/2 c unsweetened coconut flakes
-20oz can crushed pineapple

-Quinoa or brown rice.. whichever you prefer or have on hand!

1. Start making brown rice or quinoa, or if you already have some made, SCORE!! My rice cooker usually takes around 25 minutes to finish, and the rest of the meal probably only takes about 10.. So just make sure you know your appliances! (If you have to reheat your rice/quinoa, it'll taste the same!)

2. Season chicken with salt and pepper and bake for about 15-20 minutes (or until it's no longer pink in the middle) at 350*. 

3. In a large pan, steam onions, pineapple, and coconut oil at medium heat.
4. When chicken is done, slice, cube, or shred it (I just shred mine in the kitchen aid!!), and then add it to the pan, along with the teriyaki sauce. 

5. Stir it all up and simmer for 5 minutes. 

6. Add coconut flakes, then serve over brown rice or quinoa. (I also take out the onion slices before eating it, but that's just a personal preference!) 



Chicken Cacciatore
[Recipe from the TurboFire nutrition guide!]
{Makes 6 servings.. about 2 1/2 cups each}


-6 raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
-6 cups dry pasta (I used a veggie pasta that I found on sale one day!)(But you can use any whole wheat pasta)
-1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
-1 medium chopped onion (whenever onions are mentioned in recipes, I always half or quarter the amount and put that in instead.. not a huge onion fan!)
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-3 cups low sodium tomato sauce
-1 tsp. Italian seasoning (no salt added)
-3-4 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices

1. Preheat oven to 350*.
2. Place chicken breasts in single layer in a baking pan lightly coated with spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Cut into 1-inch cubes; set aside.
3. While chicken is baking, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; set aside. Keep warm.
4. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes, or until soft.
6. Add tomato sauce and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook at a gentle boil for 5-7 minutes.
7. Add chicken and zucchini; cook for 5-7 minutes.
8. Serve chicken-tomato sauce mixture over pasta.




Fruity Green Salad
This probably doesn't need a recipe, but whatever.
-Handful or two of spinach/kale (I buy the pre-bagged baby kale and baby spinach bag from the grocery store)
-Tomato
-Grapes
-Strawberries
-Craisins
-2 Tbsp raspberry vinaigrette 
-Shredded carrots

1. Chop up all of your fruits/veggies and throw them in a bowl! Like I said, super simple, but I can't get enough of fruit in a green salad these days, especially when you add in a couple tablespoons of a delicious and healthy(er) dressing! You can also add apples, pomegranate, or any other fruits you can think of! (Probably not bananas though.. that would probably be really weird.)


Turkey Lettuce Wraps
-3 slices of turkey breast, preferably the kind from the deli so that it's fresh without added preservatives.. But I didn't have any on hand, so I just used the pre-packaged stuff. Whatever, it won't kill you.
-1/2 of an avocado. Or a whole, depending on how much you like them!
-2 slices of a tomato
-handful of spinach/kale (I buy the pre-bagged baby kale and baby spinach bag from the grocery store)
-toothpicks (about 3.. maybe more if you have unruly turkey wraps)

1. Cut your tomato slices into strips, as well as your avocado.
2. Place turkey on a cutting board/plate
3. Put spinach/kale down, tomatoes, then avocado. Roll up turkey wraps and stick a toothpick in to keep it rolled up!

Are you getting the "super simple" vibe from all of these meals so far?! This one surprised the heck out of me. It has SO MUCH FLAVOR and I wasn't expecting that because I usually need bread and mayo to feel like it's a good lunch. But no, these were absolutely delicious!!


Mini Turkey Meatloaf Muffins
[original recipe from Skinny Mom.. I adapted it]
{Makes 20 muffins, serving size=2 muffins}


-2 lbs ground turkey
-1 egg
-2 egg whites
-1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
-1/4 of an onion, diced
-1/4 cup green pepper, diced
-1/2 cup carrot, grated
(GO THROUGH YOUR VEGGIE DRAWER AND GRAB ONE OF EVERYTHING! This is where I improvised and added my own veggies!)
-1/4 cup cucumbers, diced
-1/4 cup cauliflower, diced
-1/2 cup spinach/kale, diced
-1/2 cup ketchup
-1 tsp Dijon mustard
-2 tsp minced garlic
-1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
-1 tsp onion powder
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1/4 cup BBQ sauce
-1 Tbsp honey
-2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
(I actually read the recipe wrong and added these last three ingredients into the meatloaf mixture when I was just supposed to use it as the sauce.. I think it helped make them even more delicious to add them into the meatloafs though!)

SAUCE:
-1/4 cup BBQ sauce
-1 Tbsp honey
-2 tsp Worchestershire sauce

1. Preheat oven to 400*. Lightly coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix all meatloaf ingredients with your hands. Once mixture is thoroughly combined, fill each muffin tin with 1/4 cup of turkey mixture.
3. In a small bowl, whisk sauce ingredients. Brush onto the tops of each turkey muffin.
4. Cover the pan with a piece of aluminum foil. Cook for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and remove aluminum foil, then cook for another 20 minutes uncovered.

I served mine with green beans and applesauce! Ty ate one as long as it was smothered in apple sauce, but hey.. This kid never eats meat, so I'll take it any way that I can! I also didn't tell Cody what was in them and asked what he thought about the taste, and he said over and over again, "These are amazing!!" When I told him all the veggies that I put in it, he laughed and said, "I can't even taste any of those! It tastes just like normal meatloaf!" 

Also, instead of chopping up every vegetable individually, I used this FANTASTIC mini food processor.. This is the first blender/food processor that I've used that doesn't scare the crap out of Ty and make him start screaming! I think it was a wedding gift, but it is so useful and doesn't take up much space in the kitchen! Plus you can use it to mix frozen juice, use the whisk instead of bringing out the blender, and it comes with a measuring cup!



Healthy Pancakes
-1 cup egg whites (about 6 egg whites)
-1 cup low fat cottage cheese
-1 cup whole grain oats (not instant)
-1 Tbsp cinnamon
-1 tsp raw sugar/stevia
-1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Blend all the ingredients together in a blender, then make just like regular pancakes! I topped mine with light whipped cream and strawberries!



Panko Crusted Fish Sticks
[Recipe from Martha Stewart]
-1 large egg, lightly beaten
-salt and pepper
-two cups Panko (I got mine at walmart!)
-2 Tbsp olive oil
-1 Tbsp Old Bay seasoning (I didn't have it so I just googled the spices that were in it.. I think it was ground mustard, bay leaves, paprika, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, celery salt. I had all of those on hand, so I just sprinkled a little bit of each to make my own 1 Tbsp of Old Bay seasoning)
-1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets, cut into wide strips (I actually used Cod, and it wasn't fishy tasting at all.. which I loved!!)

1. Preheat oven to 475*. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Place egg in a wide, shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine panko, old bay seasoning, and oil.
3. Dip fish into egg, shaking off excess, then into panko mixture, pressing to adhere. Place on prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake until lightly browned, about 12-15 minutes.

We really enjoyed these! We actually naughtily bought them thinking they were pre-breaded, but it gave me the chance to find a healthy recipe instead!!


Chocolate Shakeology
I can't NOT mention shakeology, since it's been a daily meal replacement for me for OVER A YEAR NOW!! I can't get enough of it. It satisfies my chocolate cravings (which I get ALL the time now that I'm pregnant!!), keeps me full, and is full of REAL food with over 70 vitamins, minerals, and superfoods!!

-1 scoop chocolate shakeology
-5 ice cubes
-1/2 cup water
-1/4 cup milk

Blend all together and drink the most delicious, healthy chocolate shake you will ever find!!

No comments:

Post a Comment